Saturday, June 11, 2011

So, Your A Missionary Huh? What Do You Do Then?

When you hear the word missionary, what do you think?

If you don't already have a thought stirring in your head, hear are some objects that might get some of those gears of yours turning up there a little faster.



bike helmet
The Helmet - for safety of course..

mountain bike
The Bike - its fun to race!

mens white shirt
The White Shirt - don't spill!

black pants
The Black Pants - so formal.

tie
The Tie - some are just downright ugly.

black dress shoes
The Black Shoes - polish them once, and then again, and then again . . .

backpack
The Backpack - What do they even carry in there?  What, for their scriptures?  Golly, those are big scriptures..




Are you connecting the pieces?  Let's add one more object . . .



LDS name tag
The Name Tag - "How do you spell your name?".  Get eye contact and then point to the tag, its so much easier!

 
Add it all up and you get . . . 


Mormon missionary
A Happy and Spunky LDS Missionary That Wants to Talk With Everyone!


If you don't know me well or know that I am serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and want to know what MY mission is, then this article and those following are for you!

So, your serving a mission huh?  Umm, what do you do then? 

Sound the word "mission" around my ears and my thoughts take me into the world of espionage, fueled by the action packed adventures of Jason Bourne and James Bond, who seem to run all over the world, completing crazy tasks, that ultimately leads to a mission complete.  Likewise, I too have a mission that I must complete, and that mission has been extended to me by God.

That mission call that I have received, through a prophet of God, has taken me here to the far-reaches of the United States, out in the unknown lands of Montana and Wyoming.  I wanted to go foreign and guess what, I sure got my wish.  My mission began at the end of July in 2010 and lasts for two years - taking me to July of 2012.  During those two years, I have been called to be a representative of Jesus Christ, teaching the principles of His Gospel and administering the ordinances thereof.  Along with that, I am assigned to be with a companion who supports me and I him, in teaching about Christ.  Every so often, I am transferred from an area or my companion is transferred to a new area, in which I am able to have the experience to have many different companions over the course of two years

In simple terms, I have been given authority from God to teach about His Son and why He had to die for us and provide that Atonement so we could return to live with our Heavenly Father.  With that authority and through His Spirit, I have been given power to declare His word to everyone!  My mission, my purpose, it to be an instrument in God's hands to increase people's faith in Jesus Christ and show them the way back to Heaven, where God lives.  Without that Spirit, which touches the hearts and minds of all who seek Christ, I can do nothing and my mission, which is also Christ's mission, is in vain! 

Many might think that all that Latter-Day Saint (LDS), also known as Mormon, missionaries do is go out and tract - that our mission is to just to go out and knock on doors all day.  Well let me tell you, the doors mean nothing to me!  Whether its a hard door, a soft door, a beautiful door or a broken door, I could care less about what shape, size, or condition that door is in.  What I care about is the person on the other side of that door, the one that will be answering.  I care about their feelings, emotions, desires, and dreams.  I care about their trials and struggles, what has caused them sadness and heartache in this life as well as what has caused them feelings of happiness and joy.

Those concerns are not limited to just when I'm knocking doors, walking the streets, or riding around town to meet appointments - it's a way of life that I constantly trying to improve on.  I am out serving here in Montana and Wyoming  to increase the people of these two "Marvelous" and "Wonderful" states to come to an increased hope and faith in God, Jesus Christ, and in hearing the promptings of the Holy Ghost.

Because of my faith and what I have been asked of God to do ( it becoming more and more a desire and want rather then a commandment), to be a missionary and represent Jesus Christ, I am "liberal to all, both old and young, both bond and free, both male and female, whether out of the church or in the church, having no respect to persons as to those who stood in need" of strength, of help, of love, of hope, of security, of peace, of happiness, of serenity, of power, of balance, of faith - all of which is of God.

This is my love, this is my faith, this is my GOD and guess what, he's your GOD too!


mormon missionary missoula

No comments:

Post a Comment