Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Doing Missionary Work in Montana's Capital - Hello Helena!

After spending ten months over in Eastern Montana, covering the towns of Glasgow and Sidney, I have now made my way back West, to where the mountains are.  I had been in Helena twice before, once when I was serving in Missoula and the other when I was making my way to Glasgow from Great Falls.  I remember during that drive from Missoula to Helena saying to myself, "You know, I could serve here.  I'd be alright with that".  And so it is.  Just over a year since that day and now I'm serving the people of Helena.  I didn't need much persuasion to accept the call to come here, I had always thought it would be a neat place to teach the Restoration of the Gospel. 


Helena - the capitol of Montana and a city of about 30,000 people - a big leap from where I have just come from but not as big as Missoula nor even close to Sacramento.  It has most of your modern day needs - the Walmart, the Costco, Safeway, etc.  It also has a lot more traffic and stop lights.  I seemingly had grown accustomed to Sidney's 10 or so traffic lights.  For most towns along Hwy 2 and in Eastern Montana, you might only find one or two traffic lights.  I don't think it will take long though for me to remember my California roots though, so bring it on Helena!

Seeing Helena's mountains gave me great excitement and hope.  I didn't grow up with them too close but I have found them to be a great comfort and place of resort.  They gradually became bigger and bigger as we approached them from Billings and it feels invigorating to have them now so close to my view.  Mountains to me carry a sense of power and majesty, something also that the Lord has always been very keen to point out to have us remember.

The Lord, speaking to the Prophet Joseph Smith a month before the organization of the Church in March of 1830, gives these words to his servants:

"I am Alpha and Omega, Christ the Lord ...

Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and you shall have peace in me.

Thou shalt declare glad tidings, yea, publish it upon the mountains, and upon every high place, and among every people that thou shalt be permitted to see.

And of tenets thou shalt not talk, but thou shalt declare repentance and faith on the Savior, and remission of sins by baptism, and by fire, yea, even the Holy Ghost. (D&C 19:1, 23, 29, 31)

For any who have read the Book of the Mormon will find that its nothing too different from the Bible.  That conclusion would make sense because we believe the God is the same yesterday, today, and forever and that His eternal teachings never change. 


The Book of Mormon's message, from cover to cover, consists entirely of placing your faith in the Lord, Jesus Christ, repenting, being baptized, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.  That is the Gospel, always has, is, and always will be. 

The Book of Mormon declares glad tidings unto all and gives the reader a promise of hope and peace that none can take away.  I'm glad to be able to be publishing it from the mountains here in Helena!


No comments:

Post a Comment