Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Mormon Bishop Shares His Belief Of The Book of Mormon

 

The Book of Mormon is a book that is very important to me and is what sets the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints apart from mainstream Christianity.  We believe it to be more scripture that God has given to us through the calling of a modern day prophet.  A major purpose that the Book fulfills is that it shows how God is constant and never changing; that He is the "same yesterday, today, and forever" (Heb. 13:8).


Chris Cooke, a Mormon bishop in London, England shares his story on a video produced by the Mormon Channel of how he came to know that the Book of Mormon was true.  Before continuing though, I must pause to explain what it means to a person when they find out that the Book of Mormon is "true".  Simply, it means that the words written on the book's pages are from God and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is God's established way.

Chris begins his story by recounting how knowing the stories from the Bible and its witness of Christ led him to discovering and finding interest in the Book of Mormon.


"I was introduced to God or the concept of God by my mom. I can remember I was about two or three years old kneeling by my bed. We had this little bible, with loads of beautiful pictures in them. I remember Moses, parting the red sea, Abraham, Samson, King David taking down Goliath.

Those first experiences, really left their mark on me.

When I first met the missionaries, they showed me the Book of Mormon - I was compelled to read it. It makes sense that God would continue to speak to us.

The Book of Mormon is a book like the Bible. I think that the Book of Mormon actually helps to complete the message that the Bible is sharing to the world."

Chris shares two particular references from the Book of Mormon that has led him to make such a statement that led him to feel comfort and enlightenment by God.

  • "Now, concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection—Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life." (Alma 40:11)
"When I read that - those words - I felt the Spirit and if I can try to describe it, it was a a feeling of peace, my mind was enlightened, I felt like it was true. Where I am from in Jamaica, its a very superstitious place. It was [a] very unpleasant thing to contemplate death. This scripture points out to me that it is a part of God's plan. There is a place prepared for people that die. And I am happy that I was able to come to that knowledge.  And I've got the Book of Mormon and that experience to thank for it".
  • "And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.  And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people ..." (Alma 7:11-12)

"This verse of scripture is saying there that Jesus Christ has taken up himself my sicknesses, my pains, my challenges, which puts Him in a position to understand me better. When i read this scripture it really touched me. I just felt like I wanted to be a good person. It left me with a feeling that I never want to do a bad thing for the rest of my life".

"I came to a knowledge that the Book is true, I would say, gradually. it came through little experiences here on that page and little experiences there on that page and always accompanied by the Holy Ghost.

The way the Book of Mormon has changed me the most, it has filled me with a desire to become more like Jesus Christ. What the Book of Mormon does is it makes me want to share it with as many people as I see on the street.

I want this book to fill the world man!"



Watch the MormonChannel video of Mormon Bishop Chris Cooke:


No comments:

Post a Comment